1. Donabedian A. Evaluating the quality of medical care. Milbank Mem Fund Q 1966;44(3):166-206.
2. Werner RM, Bradlow ET. Relationship between Medicare’s hospital compare performance measures and mortality rates. JAMA 2006;296(22):2694-2702.
3. DesHarnais S, McMahon LF Jr, Wroblewski R. Measuring outcomes of hospital care using multiple risk-adjusted indexes. Health Serv Res 1991;26(4):425-445.
4. Mant J. Process versus outcome indicators in the assessment of quality of health care. Int J Qual Health Care 2001;13(6):475-480.
5. Iezzoni LI, Shwartz M, Ash AS, Hughes JS, Daley J, Mackiernan YD. Severity measurement methods and judging hospital death rates for pneumonia. Med Care 1996;34(1):11-28.
6. Iezzoni LI. Using risk-adjusted outcomes to assess clinical practice: an overview of issues pertaining to risk adjustment. Ann Thorac Surg 1994;58(6):1822-1826.
7. Iezzoni LI, Ash AS, Coffman GA, Moskowitz MA. Predicting in-hospital mortality: a comparison of severity measurement approaches. Med Care 1992;30(4):347-359.
8. DesHarnais SI, Chesney JD, Wroblewski RT, Fleming ST, McMahon LF Jr. The Risk-Adjusted Mortality Index: a new measure of hospital performance. Med Care 1988;26(12):1129-1148.
9. Scott IA, Brand CA, Phelps GE, Barker AL, Cameron PA. Using hospital standardised mortality ratios to assess quality of care: proceed with extreme caution. Med J Aust 2011;194(12):645-648.
10. Jarman B, Gault S, Alves B, Hider A, Dolan S, Cook A, et al. Explaining differences in English hospital death rates using routinely collected data. BMJ 1999;318(7197):1515-1520.
11. Richardus JH, Graafmans WC, Verloove-Vanhorick SP, Mackenbach JP. The perinatal mortality rate as an indicator of quality of care in international comparisons. Med Care 1998;36(1):54-66.
12. Gordon HS, Rosenthal GE. Impact of interhospital transfers on outcomes in an academic medical center. Implications for profiling hospital quality. Med Care 1996;34(4):295-309.
13. Westert GP, Lagoe RJ, Keskimaki I, Leyland A, Murphy M. An international study of hospital readmissions and related utilization in Europe and the USA. Health Policy 2002;61(3):269-278.
14. Mohammed MA, Deeks JJ, Girling A, Rudge G, Carmalt M, Stevens AJ, et al. Evidence of methodological bias in hospital standardised mortality ratios: retrospective database study of English hospitals. BMJ 2009;337: b780.
17. Southern DA, Quan H, Ghali WA. Comparison of the Elixhauser and Charlson/Deyo methods of comorbidity measurement in administrative data. Med Care 2004;42(4):355-360.
18. Elixhauser A, Steiner C, Harris DR, Coffey RM. Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data. Med Care 1998;36(1):8-27.
20. Stukenborg GJ, Wagner DP, Connors AF Jr. Comparison of the performance of two comorbidity measures, with and without information from prior hospitalizations. Med Care 2001;39(7):727-739.
21. Hosmer DW, Lemeshow S. Applied logistic regression. 2nd ed. New York: Wiley; 2000. p. 147-156.
23. Lee EJ. Development of hospital standardized mortality ratio index using administrative data [dissertation]. Seoul: Seoul National University; 2011 (Korean).
27. Allison JJ, Kiefe CI, Weissman NW, Person SD, Rousculp M, Canto JG, et al. Relationship of hospital teaching status with quality of care and mortality for Medicare patients with acute MI. JAMA 2000;284(10):1256-1262.
28. Rosenthal GE, Harper DL, Quinn LM, Cooper GS. Severity-adjusted mortality and length of stay in teaching and nonteaching hospitals: results of a regional study. JAMA 1997;278(6):485-490.
29. Ayanian JZ, Kohler BA, Abe T, Epstein AM. The relation between health insurance coverage and clinical outcomes among women with breast cancer. N Engl J Med 1993;329(5):326-331.
30. Hasan O, Orav EJ, Hicks LS. Insurance status and hospital care for myocardial infarction, stroke, and pneumonia. J Hosp Med 2010;5(8):452-459.
33. Bottle A, Jarman B, Aylin P. Strengths and weaknesses of hospital standardised mortality ratios. BMJ 2010;342: c7116.
34. Rosenthal GE, Baker DW, Norris DG, Way LE, Harper DL, Snow RJ. Relationships between in-hospital and 30-day standardized hospital mortality: implications for profiling hospitals. Health Serv Res 2000;34(7):1449-1468.
35. Pouw ME, Peelen LM, Moons KG, Kalkman CJ, Lingsma HF. Including post-discharge mortality in calculation of hospital standardised mortality ratios: retrospective analysis of hospital episode statistics. BMJ 2013;347(7):f5913.